Sunday, October 18, 2009

2010 Volkswagen Golf

David Richert

Over the last few years I have had the opportunity to experience things which many can only dream of doing. Though the path has been filled with many risks, trials and a lot of hard work, it’s moments like these when I realize how incredibly fortunate I am.

Over the last 2 years I have been driving race cars for Volkswagen in the Jetta TDI Cup. I was fortunate enough to earn a spot as a driver in the series and then was even more fortunate to be able to win the coveted Public Relations Contest in both years as well.

Last season the prize for winning was an all expense paid trip to race at the world-famous Hockenheimring for the Volkswagen Polo Cup event in Germany. This season, the prize was an all expense paid trip to Volkswagen headquarters in Wolfsburg to attend the North American media launch of the 2010 Golf and Golf TDI together with dozens of this continents most influential automotive and lifestyle journalists.

Sitting in Executive Class on my return trip, I have had a short chance to reflect on the whirlwind events of the last few days. I was given a very unique opportunity to experience the life of an automotive journalist and also take a glimpse behind the scenes at what makes Volkswagen so special.

Allow me to give you a taste of what I’ve been privileged to experience over the last few days. The first thing that struck me was how much more pleasant it is to travel in Executive Class. It’s nothing overly luxurious but all of your needs are met every minute of the trip and you never go hungry. I met up with Jim Kenzie (arguably one of Canada’s most prominent automotive journalists) while connecting through Toronto on our way to Frankfurt and then Hannover, Germany.


No comments:

Post a Comment